Friday, April 22, 2011

Are writers allowed to take sick days?

I haven't written anything in 4 days. My allergy meds have been knocking me on my ass. Mostly I've been sniffling and sleeping. It makes me wonder something though. How do people who take 10 years to write a single book manage to keep the enthusiasm burning? For the past 3 days, perhaps because I'm not writing, ideas for other books keep popping into my head. I've been jotting them down as they come to me... about 3 a day... but how do I keep my internal obsession focused on the RIGHT idea. And once I do get to those other books, how do I reignite the excitement for them?

I hope this makes sense. :)

JimmieHammel.com

3 comments:

Gabriella said...

"And once I do get to those other books, how do I reignite the excitement for them?"

I'm interested in this answer as well. I do what you do...ideas pop in my head and I write them down...but with me...I look at them later...and I wonder what to do with it.
I do this as I'm writing what I'm working on right now. All these ideas pop in my head and I write them down, but then get distracted with what I had been writing. Frustrating!

David said...

Just took some Benadryl and my fingers could barely find the keys to type this comment. Combined with having three documents opened at the same time, all different books -- yeah, I'm not terribly productive this month.

TirzahLaughs said...

I write in spurts. Is that the right way? I have no idea.

What I did learn much to my chagrin was that if I force myself to write 1,000 words everyday (which isnt that much), I found about 30% of what I write each week is worth keeping.

And that adds up.

If you are sick, take the time. Try not to skip more than three days in a row. That will cover most holidays and illnesses.

If you write at a certain time of day each day in your writing area, then your brain gets in the groove to write that time of day and it gets easier. It's like exercising.

Tirz