Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The hardest thing you'll ever have to do...

   So, although quitting smoking was my 'New Years Resolution' or, as I'm calling it, my first "Betterment Goal", I did actually get a head start on the process. You might say I prepped for it.
   First, I switched cigarette brands (Camels to Marlboro)  and went to ultralights from full flavors. Then I cut down on number I was smoking every day (40-30-20-15). Then I moved all my smoking associations. So for instance, I used to always smoke at my computer desk, but for the past 6 weeks I have been forcing myself to smoke outside on the porch.
   The last hurdle is always the hardest one of course. I got a head start on that one as well. I actually haven't had a cigarette since Christmas Day so, I'm on my 8th day of zero nicotine. It really sucks, but I will never, ever, touch another cigarette because I do not ever want to do this again. It's finally starting to get a little easier but the 3rd, 4th, and 5th day were SUPER HELL.
   If I could have done one more thing to make it easier on myself when I quit, I think I would have found myself a hobby, something to do with my hands, before I went cold turkey. Knitting, or cross stitch, or a little puzzle game; anything that would have occupied my hands and my brain. Also, I would have waited until after finishing the blog post before finding the clip-art picture of a cigarette.

Jimmie Hammel
JimmieHammel.com

No comments: