Friday, July 22, 2011

My Favorite Authors, and Why

I was trying to decide who my favorite authors are today, and I realized that I don't have very many. I've read widely and there are very few authors that I actively dislike, but only a couple have really captured me.

J. K. Rowling - She did something magical. She took all the rules, followed them to the letter, and wove together a magnificently crafted story. I hope to see more from her in the future.

Jim Butcher - I don't know what it is about Jim Butcher that makes his Dresden series so fascinating to me. I think it's the character of Harry. He's so real, and his life has been so very miserable, that I can't help but pull for him.

Anne Rice - This woman's description is amazing. The best I've ever read. Of everyone I've read, her voice has had the largest impact on me.

S. K. Epperson - Her work comes to life so vividly in my mind. I can see every scene. The way she gets you inside the killer's mind is chilling. She does psycho better than any other author I've read. She's an amazing story teller.

4 comments:

Nicholas La Salla said...

Nice post! Of course I'm familiar with J.K. Rowling, Anne Rice and Jim Butcher, but who is this Epperson person? She sounds thrilling.

My favorite writer is Clive Barker -- love his take on the fantastical living side by side with our (wrong) perception of reality. He's famous for the "Hellraiser" series of movies, but those are really just the tip of the iceberg for him. His work has stretched into fantasy for children ("Abarat") and epic metaphysical fantasies ("Imajica" and "Everville", among others).

I'm also a big fan of horror writer Brian Keene. His characters are deeply real and they lend the horror that takes place a big anchor. He brings his stories that much closer to home.

Best,

Nick

Anonymous said...

Thanks to my girl Jimmie for including me! My list of favorites stretches to the nearest Starbucks, but someone who rarely gets mention (almost as rarely as me, hah) is Robert McCammon, and yeah, he's been around almost as long as King. An awesome story-teller with solid characterization skills, if you've never read him before, you're in for a pleasant surprise. :)

CherylAnne Ham said...

I'm a huge fan of Anne Rice's books. You're right about her descriptions. Absolutely amazing.

Mark said...

Hard to top Rowling, after all her books have touched so many people (myself included). Cool blog:)