Friday, June 24, 2011

Weird Research

There were a few interesting things that I learned this week while doing research for my novel. I thought I'd share  some of the more interesting ones.

#1 - A planes engines don't turn the plane. There are flaps on the wings that control pitch and flaps on the rudder that control direction. Also, the "steering wheel"  in a plane is called the yoke.

#2 - If a person falls from 30 ft. the rate of survival is 50%.

#3 - On the moon however, a person can easily survive a 30 ft. fall. (assuming there is no damage to their space suit) They would have to fall from over 100 ft. to reduce their rate of survival to 50%.

#4 - When people talk about suffocating in an enclosed space, the real danger is NOT a lack of oxygen but excess CO2. The average concentration of CO2 in the outside air is .039%. The average person loses consciousness between 3% and 10%, depending on length of exposure and lung health.

#5 - When a sugar molecule is metabolized by a person's body, it creates 3 molecules of CO2  (which is expelled by their lungs) , and 3 molecules of water. This is why people crave sugar when dehydrated.

I love all the random things I learn about while doing research. Some of them are intentional, some are unintentional, but I've loved trivia my entire life so I'm happy to take it all. Learning is fun.

4 comments:

Leah said...

Yeah! Learning is awesome. It's why I'm probably doomed to academia for life.

Also, my curiosity is piqued. I really, really want to read what you're writing. Like, now.

Jimmie Hammel said...

Thanks. The randomness of it really sparks curiosity.

I have a the first chapter of my rough (very very rough) draft available on my website if you want to check it out.

http://www.JimmieHammel.com

It's just a little racy, so not safe for work.

TirzahLaughs said...

I am full of useless information.

Such as the guns in Civil War smelled of sulfur. So a battlefield reeked of the scent.

A 22 gun can put a bullet in a skull with only a small entrance wound and no exit wound which is why it was favored in close executions.

If you stab someone upward between the 7th and 8th rib and then twist--a person will normally die silently.

:)

Useless info.

TirzahLaughs said...

Oh I should mention I use to writer thrillers and horror before I switched to comedy. :) Research-HONEST