Saturday, May 28, 2011

Debauchery

I went to a Seether concert last night. It was super awesome. I was in the very first row, center stage. During "Fine Again" the guy next to us proposed to his girlfriend, and at the end of the show John Humphrey's threw his drum sticks into the crowd and my husband caught one. Very cool night.

Less cool, I had to work at 6am. So I only got about 3 hours of sleep and there was not enough time to wash off my makeup. Normally I wear very little makeup at work. It seems like a wasted effort. When I go to concerts however, I get decked out; centimeter thick catty eyeliner, red eyeshadow, glitter on my eyelashes. I work in a gas station so I was expecting comments from customers. What I wasn't expecting was a sweet little old lady to give me a copy of "Awake" titled: The Truth About the Occult. Evidently, the JW church believes that watching movies and reading books with supernatural themes causes you to become susceptible to demons. Demons also, evidently go after those who use Ouija boards and/or check their horoscope in the Newspaper.

Seriously? People actually believe this?

I'm an atheist so I don't believe in demons at all but I understand why people believe in God. I get it, even if I don't share their views. Sometimes I wish that I could believe in a loving and benevolent universe. But thinking that demons are lurking about, waiting to tempt you over to the dark side if you go to see a twilight movie... is preposterous. IMHO.

No comments: